Thursday, February 14, 2013

Exploring around town

A few days ago a friend of theirs came to Reno and we went hiking.  This area is on the northwest corner of Reno along the Truckee River. 

Yesterday I drove a bit west to the small town of Verdi to a county park along the Truckee River.  This area is popular for fishing.  I found birds:  a White-headed Woodpecker  (!!!!), 2 male Downy WP,  Mountain Chickadees, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Bewick's Wrens, Oregon Juncos, and a Belted Kingfisher.  Further north on the road, at a previous river crossing, a male Barrow's Goldeneye floated down the river.  Another avian surprise.
     Late afternoon I walked around Damonte Wetlands in southeast Reno.  Usually I see Green-winged Teal, Mallards, Coot, and Canada Geese.  The female Harrier is usually sitting on her favorite wooden post.  This walk was more exciting,  an immature Golden Eagle flew over my head !!   It took off to the east.   5 minutes later I found 3 Wilson's Snipe feeding in the area where the Bittern had been a week ago.


 I found this juvenile Black-crowned Night-Heron at Virginia Lake a few days ago.

Saturday I fly to Connecticut to visit my east coast family.  Snow drifts here I come.




No comments:

Post a Comment