Thursday, November 22, 2012

Bird List

Oh my, all the AZ desert specialties !!   The mornings start with the Curve-billed Thrasher calling  "whit-whit    whit-whit"   and the White-crowned Sparrows answering  "dee dee-dee dee dee."   In front of my window, in the desert landscaping "lawn,"  is a structure that looks like a platform feeder.  So I put some bird seed in it.  The next day House Finches,  House Sparrows, Brewer's Blackbirds, and Brown-headed Cowbirds had found it.  I don't want to encourage Cowbirds in their  "dirty deeds"  so I sprinkled seeds on the ground near the huge agave and Palo Verde trees. That attracted more White-crowns, Pyrrhuloxias, Cardinals, Cactus Wrens, and a Rufous-winged Sparrow.  This morning the Thrasher was on the ground as well.  Phainopeplas are having a good season. I see them often sitting in the trees.  A covey of Quail scurried by yesterday morning.
     I took an early morning walk in a dry wash behind the buildings.  Chipping Sparrows, a Gila Woodpecker, Gnatcatchers, a pair of Red-tailed Hawks on the cross-arm of a phone pole, and a flock of Black-throated Sparrows all showed up.  They are one of my favorite sparrows. A very scruffy hummingbird was sitting up in a mesquite, likely a Broad-tailed.  I need to remember all these hummingbirds, now.
     Last night a guest told me he saw a Roadrunner roosting in the eves of his casita.

An Internet photo, of a Black-throated Sparrow I did not take this one.


1 comment:

  1. Your narratives make me so homesick for Arizona! Karen, remember your advice to me about looking for movement! Well, the squirrels are moving around like waitstaff at the lunch rush readying themselves for winter. Every movement that catches my eye is a squirrel.

    ReplyDelete