Sunday, November 11, 2012

Across Texas

Texas is a big state.  I decided to stay away from the big interstate highways as much as possible.  I drove around Houston with the side benefit of visiting a nice county park.  What birder could resist the Gulf coast beaches and the shorebirds ?  I met up with a group who invited me to come along to other birding locations.  It was great fun to be with people who really know Texas birds.  So I have tarried a few days in the Great State of birds.



     The drought has badly affected Texas wetlands.  Many resaca areas are dry, and reservoirs that once served a big ranch have also dried up.  Tough thornscrub and Palm trees are surviving to provide habitat for wildlife and birds.
     This middle photo is of lichen draped trees as the sun is going down.  The Least Grebe is not in perfect focus.  A group of them were foraging closer to shore.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment