Sunday, October 28, 2012

NH visit

The peak of Fall color was a week ago. Maples have lost their leaves, and the oaks have turned brown.  On Tuesday I took a bus trip to New Hampshire to visit my parents.  The feeders in their backyard have attracted many birds, both migrants and year-round residents. I saw my first of the season Pine Siskins, and a pair of Purple Finches.  Woodpeckers are always fun to watch, both Downy and Red-bellied came often to the suet feeders.
     My Mom and I walked a forest path (Longmarsh Rd) between several small ponds.  We heard few birds, it was a beautiful late Fall day.

Photo, above, is of  Oyster River in Durham, NH.
     Saturday I was back in Connecticut where my Dad found a Red-shouldered Hawk in a tree watching us.  What a pretty bird !!
     Hurricane Sandy is charging north along the eastern seaboard and will join a cold front from the mid-West.  This storm is being called  "Frankenstorm"  or  " Snor-easter"  depending on the forecaster's perspective.  High winds, coastal flooding, and downed trees are expected.  At my sister's location, we are quite a distance inland and away from the coastal flooding. 



     Pond and trail along Longmarsh Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment