Friday, May 18, 2012

Wyoming

I spent a lovely morning birding along the Platte River at Edness Kimball SP.   Western Kingbirds chittering, brilliant American Goldfinches, Swainson's Thrush, a Black-headed Grosbeak singing, and 2 male Wood Ducks in the river.  Yellow Warblers were singing from territorial perches.
     A detour to the south where I picked up my kayak permit for Wyoming and I continued on to Laramie.  The following morning I visited 2 places that had been on my list last year as possibilities: Hutton Lake NWR and Snowy Range.  Hutton Lake NWR has the grassland sparrows: Vesper, Brewer's, and Lark.  All were singing.  Shorebirds were present as well:  Willets calling, Avocets foraging in the shallows, and more Wilson's Phalaropes.
     Snowy Range Scenic Hwy was delightful. The pass is nearly 11000 ft.  There is still snow in the high country.  I watched American Pipits courting and singing. White-crowned Sparrows were singing from sparse cedar trees, and little tundra flowers are blooming.
     South of Rawlins the landscape reverts to dry dusty sage brush.  I stayed overnight at Sinks Canyon SP near Lander.  Spectacular geology.

 Last summer I met Marianne, another employee at GT Park.  She and a friend own a house in Dubois along hwy 26.  I stayed overnight with her and the dog, Prince.

Photos:  top of the pass at Snowy Range.

Popo Agie River  flowing thru Sinks Canyon SP

Chocolate Lilly,  Fritillaria atropurpurea.    I had not seen this flower before.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment