Saturday, May 21, 2011

Wyoming road trip's end



Raining and still very gusty winds as I left Douglas. Black sky to the west,and the sun coming up in the east, made for a dramatic scene. Suddenly a rainbow appeared to the south. A good omen. As I approached Casper, the rain decreased, so I ventured to EK Wilkins State Park. It was a good morning, despite the wind. 4 White-faced Ibis sleeping, 5 White Pelicans flew overhead, and a male Cinnamon Teal came out of the reeds for a minute. very Western birds !! I have moved beyond the Catbirds making odd noises in the bushes, and the Blue Jays calling from the forest.
By late morning the wind speed had increased, so I moved on. Casper provided a bit of indoor entertainment as I walked laps in the big shopping mall. I drove west on Hwy 20. Silver truck does not like this wind. The Snowy Range was visible to the south, rugged and snow-covered. The prairie is mostly dry grasses and sage brush, not much for the cattle to eat.
Closed highways must be a common event. Each major highway I have been on in the past 2 days has a posted sign: 25 (or 20 or 59 or . . . .) Closed when lights are flashing. Return to ______ (town). To be that well prepared for highways being closed speaks volumes about the weather in this area.
overnighted in Riverton. Strong gusty winds continue, altho the temperature was in the low 60's when I arrived.
Sunday morning dawned clear and bright for the last leg of this road trip. Temperature was probably in the low 40's overnight. In one sunny spot, as I was leaving town, a few flowering trees in a yard had started blooming. Old Cottonwood trees along Hwy 26 are not leafing out yet. I was still driving across the open plains, now there are mountains to the left and to the right. The Wind River range is rugged and snow-covered. Birds were buzzing and calling from the dry grasses. Vesper or Brewer's Sparrows, probably, altho I did not see them.

This was an amazing scenic drive: a creek lined with Cottonwood trees with the mountains behind, split rail fences along the road, huge sedimentary hills striped in brown, purple, white and pink. On the west side of the road the cliffs were brick red, like Utah sandstone. Horses have little colts beside them. A Black-billed Magpie flew across the road.
As I climbed up Togwotee Pass (elevation 9650) snow was deeper and deeper. A sign for Falls Campground was nearly buried. Snowstakes were poking out from the snowbanks. Coming down the other side the snow quickly disappeared, leaving a high elevation sage brush community. The important photo was taken.
I arrived at Jackson Lake Lodge late morniing. I now have an ID card, Silver truck has a employee sticker, and I was assigned to room 6 in the "older people" dorm. (Otherwise known as "quiet"). Orientation is Monday, training Tuesday and Wednesday, and Colter Bay area opens on Thursday.
Birds around the Lodge: Pink-sided Juncos, Pine Siskins, Golden-crowned Kinglets, and Yellow-rumped Warblers.
Pictures are not great, camera was having trouble with exposure.

No comments:

Post a Comment