Monday, May 8, 2017

Another Teton summer

Admist the preparations for Mom's memorial service, I was invited to come back to Signal Mt Lodge in Grand Tetons Park.  It was an offer I could not refuse.  I spent 12 days on the road, visiting siblings, friends, and relatives along the way.  NH to MA to CT to NY.  This photo was taken at my friend's rented house in Cooperstown, NY.  A pastel sunset colors the pond behind her house.
     I drove across NY, touched into PA, and into Ohio.  Spring migration for birds had started, and I wanted to see a few eastern migrants before I drove further west.  I tried to stop each morning, weather permitting, to find some local birds. 



Spring was happening in Ohio.  Flowering Dogwood trees were abundant.  Below photo of Violets, and Spring Beauty, taken between the morning rainstorm and the afternoon rainstorm.  Strong winds created a headwind into Indiana. and continued to blow against me as I headed north into Wisconsin.
     I spent 2 nights visiting my relatives and we enjoyed a lovely walk along Pheasant Creek.
Bird reports for this area were very good, however, we saw mostly resident species.
     I continued west across Iowa, and spent a night with pleasant company.  A stronger wind and rainstorm blew across the plains that afternoon as I left Iowa and entered Nebraska. 
    

Below is a photo of Wisconsin River, where I stopped for a short morning walk.  Trees were beginning to "pop" their buds and grow new Spring leaves.


Such a place I would like to paddle my kayak.


To be out of the wind and rainstorm, I stopped at the Lewis and Clark Interpretative Center in Nebraska City.  It is a wonderful museum.  These 2 photos show a replica of the boat they paddled upstream on the Missouri River, as they began their exploration in May 1804.
    Photos show a few raindrops on the camera lens.

I stayed overnight in eastern Nebraska.  Several inches of snow fell in central Nebraska that night.  A sudden Spring blizzard covered the fields and trees that had started new growth of leaves.
    



and on into Wyoming.  Many Pioneers crossed the open plains of Wyoming heading for one of several destinations.










No comments:

Post a Comment