Monday, September 19, 2016

Adventuring out

On my Tuesday and Wednesday days off I drove west beyond Olympia and north onto a peninsula that points into Puget Sound.  I launched Dolphin-kayak from a small boat ramp into Eld inlet.  4 Common Loons watched me, as did a group of Sea Lions on a floating dock.  All moored boats have covers to protect them from the gulls.
      I also visited Chehalis River Surge Plain, just west of Montesano.  It is a lovely riparian area with hiking trails and a boardwalk.  While on the boardwalk I noticed a clump of animal scat.  Not dog/ coyote, not a pile like a bear, or any other animal I knew of.   Hmmm.  I finished the boardwalk and drove to another trailhead to walk down an old dirt road.   On the way back I noticed a large black lump in the trail, well ahead of me.  A Wild Boar !    At first it did not notice me, but later put it's nose to the air.  Suddenly it turned and started running towards me.  I detoured off the trail, through the forest and up to highway 107.  It did not follow me.
    


  I found these Savannah Sparrows on a tidal beach picking seeds or insects out of the wrack line.




   




  Saturday this region had a big rain and wind storm.  I worried about all the hikers out on Wonderland Trail.  Sunday morning the skies cleared quickly and we saw Rainier in a fresh coat of snow. 








Native Huckleberries are very good eating.  More than once these bushes have given me a dessert after lunch or dinner.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photos: the micro and the macro. Enjoy your time at Mount Rainier, Karen, and keep posting photos for we armchair travelers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad no picture of the wild boar! Incredible!
    I guess it is hard to shoot pics and run at the same time (grin).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad no picture of the wild boar! Incredible!
    I guess it is hard to shoot pics and run at the same time (grin).

    ReplyDelete