Friday, September 25, 2015

Rocky Mt Park

Last Saturday I drove north to RMNP and arrived quite early.  Elk were very active in the meadows at Moraine.  Bugling males were very exciting to listen to. A dominant bull with full antlers sang, splashed across a creek, and battled a bush.  I did not see any fighting, the big males seemed to be more interested in the females.  One large male sat in a field 100 feet from the road and did his bugling sitting down.  Another bull walked between the parked cars and stood 10 feet away from a man doing video with his iPad.  That bull was not afraid of people !
     I drove up Trail Ridge Road to the summit, and found it very windy. Tundra plants are almost finished blooming. I felt like I would be blown off the mountain so I descended back down to the valley.  Aspen leaves are golden on some hillsides, and still green in dense clumps in lower forests.  Sprague Lake was very pretty to walk around.  I found a few birds:  Pygmy Nuthatches, Grey-headed Juncos, Mountain Bluebirds, American Pipits, and Townsend's Solitaires.
    I was lucky to get a camp space, most of the campgrounds are all reserved. 




Arctic Gentian







I was lucky to stop for a "Moose jam"  and even better to get a few photos of Mama Moose and her little calf.









The Rockies are a very old mountain range and the peaks are rounded from erosion.  This is so different from the sharp craggy Tetons that are much younger. 














I decided to post this photo anyway.  The bold Elk meets technology


2 comments:

  1. I love your beautiful "old" Rocky Mountains! so much younger than the Appalachians!!
    Don't park rangers warn against getting so close to elk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like that guy lucked out. Darwin spares another touron! Aside from that what a great shot of the elk in the first photo. Again, good stories Karen. So detailed yet refreshing!

    ReplyDelete