Thursday, July 23, 2015

Mid-summer

Mornings dawn clear and blue, most of the time.  By lunch time there are a few clouds to the west and by mid-afternoon big cumulus clouds are growing over the mountains.  Rain falls sometimes, in random parts of the city.  When I lived in central valley California I was used to the Mediterranean-type climate where you could leave a car window open until October and not see any rain.  Not so here !!
     Last Saturday I joined a small group of birders for a walk around Echo Lake.  At 10,600 ft we walked slowly !  The restaurant is popular for breakfast and lunch.  Birders come to watch the hummingbird feeders.
     A Rufous hummingbird busy chasing away the Broad-tailed hummer males.



This Yellow-breasted Chat surprised me during a walk at White Ranch Open Space park.  even more surprising that I could snap a picture of it !!


A young Robin standing on the trail, perhaps the parents have stopped feeding it.

3 comments: