Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Paddling around

     Dolphin and I have been out on 5 lakes so far.  Earlier in the season I was seeing female ducks leading broods of ducklings, spooking Great Blue Herons, and watching tiny fish swimming in the clear water. 
    This photo was taken during a short portage between bays.  I paddled south from Colter Bay boat ramp across 3 small bays  and around 2 little islands.  Water levels are dropping in Jackson Lake, as the Idaho potato farmers take their 38 feet of the lake.
String Lake is a narrow lake that empties into Jenny Lake.  I paddled north along its length to the take-out site and dragged Dolphin up the muddy bank.  The trail to Leigh Lake is short and ends at this  "staircase."  I watched a man position his plastic kayak, sit inside it, and slide bump, bump, bump down the ramp to splash into the water.  I did not do that !!












Leigh Lake is larger and has a few boat-in campsites on the shore.  I came around a corner and the wind was suddenly very strong.  I took a quick photo and turned around to return the portage.  String Lake is much more sheltered from the wind.









Oxbow Lake is a wonderful marsh to paddle around in.  Female ducks hide their ducklings in the willows.  I came around a corner and found a much larger youngster,  a baby Moose.  I was quiet and did not disturb mama Moose resting in the willows nearby.  The baby Moose looked at me and sat down in the grass.  It probably thought I was a big blue whale.

1 comment:

  1. I have been on Leigh Lake, but with a canoe and an extra paddler, and it has some scary winds that pick up out of nowhere, especially where Paintbrush Canyon empties into the lake cove area. My heart was in my throat. I'm glad you made it back safely! And the Oxbow-- a mini wonderland with so much wildlife! One of my favorite places to paddle.

    ReplyDelete