Saturday, July 12, 2014

Celebration of Birds

     Back in May I was happy to see (and photograph) one male Barrow's Goldeneye.  Last month I saw a raft of them in Yellowstone Lake.  Schwabacher's Landing finally opened in early July and I was able to take a morning walk along the back channels of the Snake River.  Barrow's Goldeneye females were leading groups of young ducklings swimming across the channel.
    One afternoon in late June, I was walking along the south end of Jenny Lake listening to birds singing.  Warbling Vireos were adding to the chorus.  I found this female sitting on her nest in an Aspen tree.
   






 Two weeks ago I was wandering in the forest north of Phelps Lake looking for Woodpeckers.  I found this Chickadee nest cavity when a parent Chickadee zipped past my head and into the hole.












     Eastern Kingbirds prefer more open country.  I was outside the Park when I found this good looking bird swooping after insects.
 







   A litter of Coyote pups was born under one of the old buildings in the Mormon Row area. They happened to be out in the sunshine the morning I came by.  Cliff Swallows were nesting on an adjacent building and Vesper Sparrows sang from the sagebrush across the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment