Saturday, July 21, 2012

staying busy

      2 weeks ago I received an email from some California friends.  I worked with one of them in Sacramento.  This Spring they bought an RV, sold the house, and are traveling across the country.  I meet up with Kris and Marcy in Yellowstone, at Fishing Bridge RV Park.  Weather was not cooperative for longer hikes, altho Kris and I managed to do 2 short hikes in between storm cells.  It was fun to see them.
     Monday I participated in the first, Ranger-led, Colter Bay paddling trip.  The group numbered 7 canoes and 2 kayaks, with the 2 Rangers in one canoe.  It was beautiful morning, too bad I forgot to put a flash card in my camera.
     Last week a co-worker wanted to change the schedule so he could attend an event.  I ended up with 3 days off this week, and was able to obtain a backcountry permit for Lower Paintbrush Canyon.  Wednesday I hiked up 4 miles to the designated camping zone and set up my little tent.  Each overnight permit comes with the loan of a mandatory bear-proof food container.  Last year I attached it to the outside of my pack and it kept swinging around and hitting me in the head.  This year I loaded it with food and put it inside the pack.  That idea worked much better.                                                   photo of Leigh Lake (in center) and Jackson Lake in background.
     Campsites in Lower Paintbrush are flanked by peaks over 11000 ft, with very little snow on their sides. The trail climbs to 7700 ft at the camping area.  I had a marvelous view of Jackson and Leigh Lakes to the east.
     Thursday morning I day-hiked up to Holly Lake at over 9000 ft.  Switchbacks were steep up to the lake, while mountain vistas were spectacular.  Waterfalls and cascades from melting snowfields were rushing down the mountainsides to join Paintbrush Creek.  I saw 2 Pikas in a rockfall area, and 2 Marmots in a more forested area.  Trees are mostly Firs at this elevation with some Lodgepole Pine mixed in.
     Strong hikers do the entire loop in 3 days, up Paintbrush Canyon, across the divide to Lake Solitude, and down Cascade Canyon.  Between last year and this year I hiked both ends of the loop.
     Friday morning I awoke to a gentle rain on the tent and overcast skies.  From inside the tent I looked out and saw a red-orange sun peeking over a distant range and disappearing into the cloud layer.  The air was damp and warm as I hiked back down the trail to the String Lake parking area.

photos of mountain cirque as far as I hiked.



No comments:

Post a Comment