Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Summer in GT Park





Snow is melting fast, melt water cascades are thundering down the mountainsides, feeding the lakes and Snake River. Saturday morning I joined a Ranger-led paddling trip on Jenny Lake. So beautiful to be out early in the morning !! The mountains sparkled, the water was calm, and we could hear the roaring of 3 snow melt streams in different canyons on the west side of the lake.
.........Wildflowers are simply spectacular now. I have taken so many photos, its a good thing I am not buying film. Butterflies are out, too: Swallowtails, and little Blues, and many more. Mosquitoes are even more abundant. We need more bats to eat mosquitoes !!
.........Moose and Bears continue to entertain visitors with their presence near the main road. Saturday morning as I was driving to Jenny Lake for the paddling trip, I came upon a large bear in to middle of the road. Mama Grizzley !! Her 3 little ones were bouncing on the side of the road. She moved off the road to let me pass.
This morning I hiked along Arizona Creek in the north end of the park. Aspen leaves were quaking in the wind, a verdant meadow was filled with flowers, and the willows looked chewed on. Further along I found an area where 2 Moose had spent time sitting in the shade of a large conifer.
One of the joys of the past 10 days has been an indoor activity. A co-worker purchased the DVD of the Ken Burns film The National Parks: America's Best Idea, and is letting each of us borrow the set. Oh my, what a wonderful video. I was totally entranced watching it, and the wonderful Special Features at the end of each DVD.
........We had a rainstorm yesterday and the mountains are misty. Photos from Jenny Lake, and of Symmetry Spire.

No comments:

Post a Comment