Thursday, July 14, 2011

mid July



Birds are fewer now. Golden-crowned Kinglets and Yellow-rumped Warblers who were singing through-out the day when I arrived, are busy feeding young ones and not singing much. A lonely Warbling Vireo is singing during the afternoons outside Cabin Office. Jackson Lake is rising fast and moving into the lowland bushes. Most years Snake River is flowing less than 10,000 cfs, now the flow is nearly 3 times normal.
This morning I launched Dolphin-kayak into an oxbow of the Snake River that is still connected to the river at one point. I was able to paddle between the Willow bushes into areas that usually don't have much water. The mountains are always looking down at the river. Its still surprising to me to see Barrow's Goldeneyes in quiet corners of the oxbow. The other avian excitement was a Trumpeter Swan who trumpeted at me as I came around an island !!! Canada Geese goslings are mostly grown up. I did not see any little ducklings today. A Spotted Sandpiper had 2 little chicks hidden in the flooded grass near the shore when I came in for landing.
........2 days ago I drove to Lupine Meadows trailhead intending to explore the meadow. In front of me, as I parked, was the steep mountainside of Teewinot. A rushing snowmelt stream was cascading down the rocks and disappearing into the Willows and Aspens. Finding an informal trail, I decided to hike up a short distance, It was a spectacular hike and I could not stop until I was halfway up the steep slope. Wildflowers were everywhere, and Balsamroot covered part of the slope with a bright yellow carpet. A Green-tailed Towhee sang from the top of a young Spruce, and a Mountain Bluebird perched briefly on a tall bush.
.......I learned later that my "informal trail" was part of the approach climbers use when climbing to the summit of Teewinot. 50 years ago my Dad climbed Teewinot with some friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment