Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Trees are convinced



"I will seize you I will seize you I will squeeze you 'til you squirt !" Warbling Vireos were singing by the lake this morning. Their song is so much easier to remember since Sue told me the numonic. Monday was a bright sunny day until afternoon clouds rolled in. I walked up the sage covered hill by the oxbow of Snake River, amazed to see how fast the Aspen were responding to a few warm days. Tiny new leaves are popping out quickly.
Birds are migrating thru the area. I found a pair of Pine Grosbeaks near the campground 3 days ago, a Black-headed Grosbeak and a pair of Dusky Flycatchers on that sage-covered hill, and heard Sandhill Cranes calling near the river.
A bear with cubs walked past the gas station and into the campground 2 days ago. Many guests came in with photos and stories. Bear 399 is about 15 years old and has raised cubs in previous years. The rangers keep track of her and other bears to prevent unhappy interactions with humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment