Wednesday, June 22, 2011

late June



Yesterday and today the sun came out and the mountains were absolutely beautiful. A guest commented, its like church here, its like church. Right now I could believe that.
I took Dolphin out on Colter Bay yesterday morning. A picture perfect scene: blue sky behind the snowy peaks, a pair of Common Mergansers sleeping on the beach, a Common Loon floating in a quiet cove, and a small group of White Pelicans circling in a thermal overhead.

Today, late morming, I was coming back from the south and saw a Black Bear walking across the road. 4 cars had stopped quickly for photographs and excitement. "Its a Bear !" And I had already put the camera away for the drive back to lunch.

A few days ago I took a morning hike under gray skies and dripping clouds at the LSR Preserve. I finally saw the Western Tanagers, and found an orchid growing beside the trail, Calypso Orchid or Fairy Slipper. LSR Preserve was the last donation by the Rockefeller family to the Park Service. Laurence and family held the land for family summer vacations until he was an old man. He wanted park visitors to be inspired by the landscape. Even during the rain the forest is soft and green.
Photos from yesterday's paddle, and the orchid. I have so many photos of magnificent mountains and I have only been here for a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment